Skip to main content Quick Exit

Paying for Non Residential Care - Factsheet (FS1)

Stockton Borough Council

If you decide to have support at Home (after your care and support needs assessment) we will need to carry out a financial assessment to work out how much your support should cost.   

Support at Home includes: 

  • Personal Care
  • Transport
  • Self-Managed Personal Budget
  • Domestic Care
  • Day Care
  • Telecare
  • The first 8 weeks of respite care in a care home, where care and support at Home is in place. 

We will usually apply any charges from the first day that you start getting help or services from the Council. We will try and arrange your financial assessment as soon as possible so that any costs are not backdated too far, to help you budget your money. 

We work out how much you pay (called your contribution) according to the Care and Support Guidance and the Care and Support (Charging and Assessment of Resources) Regulations which is from the Care Act 2014.

An Assessment Visiting Officer will contact you to work out how much you will pay. You may choose to nominate a relative, friend or advocate to support you with this. They will also make sure that you are getting all the benefits you are entitled to and help with any forms. 

There are a few ways to complete your financial assessment, The Assessment Visiting Officer will contact you to arrange a meeting using technology for an online visit, or by telephone. It can also be completed by sending you the forms to complete by email or letter. 

You can also choose to do your own financial assessment online before the Assessment Visiting Officer contacts you or after if you let them know. 

You can complete this on the My cost of care website. Someone else can do this for you if you give them the information needed. 

As everyone’s financial circumstances are different, we do ask quite a lot of questions, though not all of them may apply to you. This will tell us whether you can afford to pay anything and, if you can, how much.

Your financial assessment

Your financial assessment is unique to you and takes into account your income and savings. We will also take into account some housing costs and extra expenses you may have because of age, disability or illness. When we work out your financial assessment, we will tell you the most that you will have to pay, when and how to pay for your services. 

Information you need to provide

However you choose to have your financial assessment completed you will need some information to complete it and it would be helpful if you could have this ready. Some examples are: 

  • Pensions or benefits you get from the Department for Work and Pensions
  • Pension notification from a private pension
  • Bank statements
  • Bank book, ISA details
  • Premium Bonds, stocks and shares
  • Housing costs such as council tax, rent, water rates
  • Electricity and gas bills

Your Home/Property

If you own your home we do not take the value of this into account in your financial assessment while you are living in it. If you own a second home, property or land the value will be included as savings.  

If you have moved into Supported Living or an Extra Care Scheme and own a second home we can continue to help fund your care through the ‘Deferred Payments Scheme’. 

The Council will loan you the money to pay for your care and you would not need to sell your property straight away. A legal charge will be placed on your property records at the Land Registry so when your property is sold the money owed to the Council can be repaid. 

The Assessment Visiting Officer will discuss this with you in more detail and can tell you more about the scheme. 

It is recommended you get your own independent legal and financial advice about the property you own.

Taking Your Savings into account

We will not take into account any savings you have below £14,250. If you have savings of more than £23,250 you will have to pay the full cost of your care package up the current maximum charge.  This is set at 60% of current cost of a place in a Grade 1 residential home. This rate (usually) changes in April each year. 

If your savings fall between £14,250 and £23,250 you will have to pay £1.00 per week for every £250 (over £14,250). We call this a tariff income. This is a reasonable amount we expect you to contribute from your savings.

Disability Related Expenditure

We can make allowances for extra costs which you have to pay because of your age, or disability, such as special dietary needs, extra heating or special clothing. 

We can provide more information on what these costs are, but you may need to provide receipts and invoices for some of things for them to be allowed. 

How much of your income do we take into account?

Your outgoings are deducted from your income to produce your maximum weekly contribution circumstances change. 

You will be given a summary of how your maximum weekly contribution (the maximum amount you will pay towards your care each week, unless your financial circumstances change) is worked out. 

In most cases you will be informed of how much you need to pay at the time you complete your financial assessment, but this will be confirmed and sent to you in writing, so you have the information and will include a copy of how your contribution has been calculated.


We will only assess you on the income and savings you have but sometimes we may need to look at your partner’s details. For example, when they are paid money on behalf of both of you.

If you don’t agree with what you have been asked to pay

Please contact the Adult Social Care Financial Services Team if you think that we have made a mistake in your financial assessment. We will explain the financial assessment to you but if you still think we have made a mistake you should: 

  • Ask for a review of your assessment and
  • Provide as much information as possible so your assessment can be reviewed. 

If we have reviewed your assessment and you are still unhappy with the amount, we ask you to pay toward your care and support, you can appeal against our decision. Please contact the Adult Social Care Financial Services Team who can give you more details of how to appeal.

Getting Independent Financial Advice

It may be helpful for you to seek independent financial advice if you are unsure about paying for care and support. 

You can seek help and advice from the following: or ask for an ‘Independent Financial Advice’ leaflet. 

Paying for Adult Care Services: 

Contacting Us

Adult Social Care Services: 

First Contact 

01642 527764

Minicom: 01642 527769 

Opening Hours

Monday – Thursday 8.30am - 5pm

Friday 8.30am – 4.30pm 

For Adult Social Care Financial Services:

01642 524586

Other Useful:

Stockton Welfare Rights Unit

Advice Line: 01642 526141 

Monday to Thursday 2.00 – 5.00pm

Friday 2.00 – 4.30pm 

Stockton & District Advice & Information Services

01642 633877 

The Department for Work and Pensions

People over 60: The Pension Service

0845 6060265

People under 60: Job Centre Plus

0345 6043719 

If you would like this information in any other language or format for example large print or audio, please contact us

01642 524586

Add to Shortlist
Back to top