Skip to main content Quick Exit

Social Care

Social Care and Social Support

Some children and young people with special educational needs (SEN) may have disabilities or other needs which mean they require support from social care services. Depending on the age of the child or young person these services may be provided by children’s social care services or adults social care services.



Early Help


Early Help is about providing early intervention and the right support to meet a child’s needs.

The Early Help Assessment (EHA) is a framework for the early identification and assessment of a child’s unmet needs and incorporates a process to help families and professionals to agree how to meet those needs to achieve the best possible outcomes.

The process is voluntary and informed consent is mandatory. EHA should be promoted positively and an explanation given to Families that they can stop the process at any time and agree what information they want to share. Children and families should not be stigmatised by the EHA and they can ask for the EHA process to be initiated on their behalf.

The EHA is part of Stockton’s early help offer and it should be considered alongside Stockton’s providing the right support to meet a child’s needs threshold document.

 If at any point during the EHA process it is believed that a child may be suffering or at risk of suffering significant harm, the Tees LSCBs’ Child Protection Procedures must be followed and a referral made to Children’s Services.

If you require further information the please click here

The Disabled Children's Team

The Disabled Children's Team includes several services that provide support for children and young people with complex needs.

The Key Working Development Team
This team provides support to families who have a child aged between  0 – 17 years of age, with  a complex need and where there are at least 3 professionals involved in their child’s care.   The Key working officer  can assist in coordinating professionals and  services involved via the Team Around the Child (TAC) approach and acts as a first point of contact for families.

The Disabled Children's Team provides a social work service to children and young people 0 – 17 who have been diagnosed with a severe learning disability, a severe physical disability, a life limiting/ life threatening condition or  a multiple disability ( combination of the above ) where they have an assessed need rising from their disability that cannot be met by services available to children in general.  The social work team also undertakes safeguarding duties in respect of children and young people with complex needs deemed to be at risk.
Transition Support
The transition social worker facilitates a smooth transition from children’s to adult services for young people aged 17 years with complex needs.  This service starts at 16 years of age for young people within the Care system or where they require a high level of planning due to their disability.


Contact were founded in the 1970s by families of disabled children, who recognised that even if their child's conditions were different, they shared a common experience - of being a family with a disabled child. They understood how important it is to support each other.

A lot has changed since then but some things haven't changed nearly enough. There is a desperate lack of services and support for the 620,000 parents in the UK who care for a disabled child. As a result, families face a huge range of challenges and many feel isolated and alone.  Coping with extra financial costs and practical challenges can put an enormous strain on daily life, with families more likely to face emotional issues, stress and anxiety.

Contact offer assistance for all families with disabled children - supporting families, bringing families together and helping families take action for others.

Contact's vision is that families with disabled children feel valued and are strong, confident and able to make the decisions that are right for them. 

For further information on Contact please click here.

Social Care Teams involved in Transition for Young People

There are various social care teams that might support a young person through transition, depending on their circumstances. Which team leads on this will depend on the level of support that the young person will need as they move into adulthood.

The main teams are:

Preparing for Adulthood SEND Team

Many young people be supported by the Preparing for Adulthood SEND team who will work with the young person, the family and in collaboration with other agencies, to identify, review, track and plan support and services through transition.

Hartlepool and Stockton-on-Tees Safeguarding Children Partnership (HSSCP)

Keeping children safe is your business, our business, it's everyone's business.

The work to protect children and young people from abuse and neglect is overseen by the Hartlepool and Stockton-on-Tees Safeguarding Children Partnership (HSSCP).

For more detailed information please click here.

Adult Social Care

The care and support planning process is there to help decide the best way to meet the needs of individuals. The starting point is to make a Care Act assessment of need. This is the basis for deciding the type, and level, of care and support which is to be provided.

The care and support planning process can be led by the individual if they choose or are able to be involved. The individual will remain central to the process in a way that works best for them regardless of the amount they can be involved. The individual’s wellbeing: care and support needs; wishes and feelings; values and aspirations will all be considered in the overall needs and outcomes of the planning.

Read the Services for Adults Explained booklet for further information.

Read the Adult Social Care and Support - How to ask for help booklet.

For further information please click here.

The Supported Lodgings Scheme

Giving young people a stepping stone to independence

Do you have a spare room? Can you help a young person take the next step towards independence?
As a Supported Lodgings provider, you will receive a weekly allowance, and get support and advice every step of the way.

The Supported Lodgings Scheme is an accommodation scheme for young people aged 16 plus who are unable to live at home but are not ready to live independently.  It aims to provide care leavers with additional options for accommodation. This can include emergency accommodation when there is the chance of homelessness or planned long-term accommodation.

You will need to provide a young person with practical and emotional assistance in the safety and security of a family environment.  You are expected to provide a separate bedroom, meals, access to a bathroom, kitchen and laundry facilities.

In return you will receive a financial incentive, training and support from the Supported Lodgings team, and a feeling like no other from changing someone's life. If you are accepted onto the scheme, your details will form a register of householders who can provide suitable accommodation for young people who do not have a home of their own.

You may:

  • Be single, married or divorced
  • Be in a single-sex relationship
  • Have a disability
  • Be renting or owning your own home
  • Be a parent with your own children or not
  • Have full-time employment or be at home.

You will be assessed on an individual basis and there is no upper age limit, as long as you are fit and healthy.

If you have a spare room and would like the opportunity to help a young person make the first step towards independence, consider making an application.  Contact the Looked After Children Service for an informal chat in the first instance.

Address: Looked After Children Service, 70 Norton Road, Stockton-on-Tees, TS18 2DE

Telephone: 01642 527860



For further information you can open the external link on the right of this page or you can click the link provided below

Guide to Supported Lodgings – giving young people a stepping stone to independence

The Care Act 2014: Assessment and Eligibility

The Care Act: assessment and eligibility

The Care Act 2014 sets out in one place, local authorities’ duties in relation to assessing people’s needs and their eligibility for publicly funded care and support.

Further information is provide in the external link section of this page and or can be found by clicking here.

Specialist Palliative Care

This service delivers specialist palliative care to people over the age of 16 years. Care delivery focusses on those with life-limiting diseases and complex symptom management needs.

  • This is a specialist service aimed at addressing complex palliative care needs.
  • Intervention may be delivered either during the disease trajectory or as the person approaches end of life.
  • Typical interventions would include advice and support regarding medicines to address complex symptoms and complex psychological support.
  • This service supports people until the complex need is being suitably managed, then would step back to allow core services to continue on-going care deliver.


  • Referrals can be made direct by patients / families / carers as well as by an involved health care professional.
  • There is a designated fax and telephone number for this process, while hospital wards are able to use an electronic Trust IT system.
  • Decisions made regarding referrals are based on comprehensive referral criteria, with team decisions being the usual practice.
  • It is not usual for there to be any waiting list.

Contact Details:

Telephone 01642 383895                                  Website

Address Farndale House, University Hospital of North Tees
Hardwick Road
TS19 8PE

Short Breaks

Back to top