Skip to main content Quick Exit


Stockton Council is required to provide home to school transport, under certain conditions. Our Community Transport Service is responsible for the management of Home to School transport for children who qualify for free transport from mainstream and special education needs from primary school age up to 19 years old.

For further information please click on the following link:Transport

Learning to Drive

It may or may not be possible for people with special educational needs to reach driving test standard and drive independently, and an assessment is recommended.

You would normally need to be aged 17 to hold a licence to drive a car (Category B) but if you receive the higher rate mobility component of DLA (Disability Living Allowance) or the enhanced rate mobility component of PIP (Personal Independence Payment) you may hold a licence from age 16. You can apply for your licence three months before your birthday.

Get a licence application form from any Post Office or line from

Or you can apply on-line at – you’ll need your Government Gateway ID, if you don’t have one or need to re-register, you’ll get an ID as part of your application.

For on-line application you’ll need to provide:

  • An identity document unless you have a valid UK biometric passport
  • Addresses where you have lived for the past 3 years
  • Your National Insurance Number
  • A £34 payment by MasterCard, Visa, Electron, Maestro or Delta debit or credit card.

You’ll get a confirmation email from DVLA after you’ve applied, your licence should arrive within one week if you apply on-line.

For further information please click here

Independent Travel

An independent travel training resource pack is now available to download. The pack will  provide you with guidance to support the vital life and independence skills for young people with specialist needs.

To view the Independent Travel Training Resource Pack click here.

Back to top