Trading Standards carry out a range of duties in order to prevent unsafe and unfair trading practices, with the aim of protecting consumers and ensuring that reputable businesses can operate effectively and efficiently without being placed at a trading disadvantage.
This protection is provided in relation to virtually the full range of personal and household goods and services, from the purchase of daily necessities to the building of an extension to a property.
Some of the main areas covered by the team include:
- Protection against scams
- Rogue traders
- The safety of all consumer products
- Foodstuffs are correctly described and labelled
- Checks the accuracy of weighing and measuring equipment in use for trade e.g. petrol pumps
- Advice to businesses to help them comply with the law
- Advice and assistance for consumers with disputes arising from the supply of faulty and misdescribed goods and services.
- 01642 526560
- Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council - Trading Standards webpage