Darlington College is a further education college located on Haughton Road in Darlington.
Darlington College provides a huge variety of courses to suit the ambitions of every single student. Whether you are leaving school, considering an apprenticeship, looking to enhance your career development, or simply want to learn for fun – we have a course for you.
- DL1 1DR
Darlington College welcomes applications from people with special educational needs and disabilities. We are committed to making sure that all students receive the additional learning support they need to access the college and achieve their goals. Sensitive and individualised support is available regardless of what course you choose to do.
Please let us know about your support needs as soon as you can. You can let us know about any support needs when you apply for your course. The Additional Learning Support team will contact you and arrange to meet with you to start to plan your support. Alternatively you can contact us before you apply for a course for a chat about your needs and to find out more details of what support you could receive at college.
We also work very closely with local schools/SENCOs, the Local Authority SEN teams, Social Workers and other professionals who can support you to discuss your needs with us.
We understand that leaving school and starting College can be difficult for some students and we can work with you to help you get used to the College before you start your course. This may include visits to the College, support at interview and meeting up with support staff.
We can provide:
- Extra tuition through one-to-one and small group work.
- Specialist support for specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia
- Learning Support Assistants to work with you in class and help you with your work
- Learning Support Assistants to meet you when you arrive and support you when you are not in class
- Help with personal care/medical needs
- Assistance if you have a sensory impairment
- Support with note-taking in class
- Special arrangements for examinations/assessments
We also have a wide range of specialist equipment including:
- Computers with specialist software such as Dragon Dictate
- Spell checkers and thesauruses
- Specialist monitors and keyboards
- Text reader
- Screen software for blind/low vision computer users
- Magnifiers, glare guards
- Radio Aids
You may need to take an examination or assessment as part of your studies. It is essential that you discuss your needs with us as soon as possible in order to meet examination board deadlines. The range of special arrangements may include:
- Extra time
- Alternative papers e.g. Braille, modified layout or enlarged text
- Use of low vision aids
- Modification of language
- Use of a reader
- Signed communication
- Use of a scribe
- Alternative accommodation
- Contact Name
- Additional Learning Support Team
- Contact Telephone
- 01325 503190
- Contact Email
- Local Offer Age Bands
For All Young People
Transition to Adulthood
- SEN Provision Type