Stockton-on-Tees Home Improvement Agency
Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council’s Home Improvement Agency is a not-for-profit service funded and supported by the Council for residents across Stockton-on-Tees. We provide advice, support and assistance to elderly, disabled and vulnerable people who own and live in their own property, or those in privately rented or housing association accommodation (where the provider does not offer a similar service and specific eligibility criteria are not met).
We can help to repair, improve, maintain or adapt the home to meet changing needs. The purpose of the service is to help people to remain independent, warm, safe and secure at home. We offer:
Minor Adaptions Service:
The provision of urgent and routine minor adaptations and simple fixings in order to ensure safe and independent living. The clients requiring works undertaken as part of this service will be referred by Approved referrers only.
- Imparting knowledge and expertise about home repairs and adaptions
- Carrying out essential adaptations to the property to give better freedom of movement into, and around the home, as well as provide access to essential facilities within the home which includes skilled and experienced staff and project management from start to finish
Our Handyperson Service is for low level DIY type jobs, allowing 2 free hours labour in any 6-month period to clients who are eligible for this service. We can carry out any works which will assist with reducing accidents, falls, and unnecessary hospital admissions.
The Advice Needs and Guidance Service:
We can provide information, advice and assistance to clients who are eligible for this service that may be useful, specifically related to the property regarding repairs and adaptations needed.
- Helping with applications for grants/loans or additional funding, including financial support they may be entitled to
- Getting information and advice about the options to help deal with unsuitable housing
- Support to access alternative support services through active signposting
Residents wishing to access the Home Improvement Agency will be required to meet eligibility criteria which may include:
- Vulnerable older adults who have care and support needs or who are at risk of developing such needs
- Persons identified at risk of trips or falls in or around the home
- People being discharged from hospital (accessed via Approved Referrers referrals)
- Vulnerable People who are victims of crime
- People who require the installation of sensory loss equipment as requested by the Council’s Sensory Loss
- Contact Name
- Stockton-on-Tees Home Improvement Agency
- 01642 526904
- Referral required
- Referral Details
Approved referrers: Requests for assistance with minor adaptations are received from Occupational Therapists and Physiotherapists working alongside the social care sector.
If you require a care and support assessment, please contact First Contact - Call: 01642 527764. Email: FirstContactAdults@stockton.gov.uk
Referrals for assistance via the handyperson service and for advice and support service can be made by supporting agencies or by self-referral.