Sure Start Maternity Grant
The Sure Start Maternity Grant is a one-off payment of £500 that you could get to help towards the cost of maternity and baby items. The grant is tax free and you don’t have to repay it.
Usually, to qualify for a Sure Start Maternity Grant there must be no other children in your family and you must get one of these benefits:
- Income Support
- income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit at a rate higher than the family element
- Working Tax Credit that includes a disability or severe disability element
- Universal Credit
If you already have children you may still be able to get a grant if you’re expecting a multiple birth (eg. twins or triplets).
You may also be able to get a grant if you’re adopting or becoming a surrogate parent.
The baby must be less than 1 year old on the date you claim. You must be receiving one of the benefits above and one of the following must also apply:
- you’ve become responsible for the baby and you’re not the mother
- the baby has been placed with you for adoption
- you’ve got permission to adopt a baby from abroad
- you’ve got a parental order for a surrogate birth
- you’ve been appointed as guardian
- you’ve an adoption or a residence order
You can claim any time from the 11 weeks before the baby is due until 3 months after the baby is born or within 3 months of taking responsibility for the child if adopting/acting as guardian.
Who to contact
- 0800 169 0140
- How To Claim