Skip to main content Quick Exit

Toxic Shock Syndrome

Toxic shock syndrome (TSS) is a rare but life-threatening condition caused by bacteria getting into the body and releasing harmful toxins.

It's often associated with tampon use in young women, but it can affect anyone of any age – including men and children.

TSS gets worse very quickly and can be fatal if not treated promptly. But if it's diagnosed and treated early, most people make a full recovery.

Please visit the NHS toxic shock webpage for further information.

Who to contact

Is this information correct?

Save to Shortlist SMS
Back to top