Askham Bryan College
Askham Bryan College is one of the leading land-based colleges in the UK and is the largest provider of specialist land-based further education in England.
Originally opened in January 1948, the first students enrolled on residential courses at the then Yorkshire Institute of Agriculture. Until 1964 only agriculture and horticulture courses were available but during the 1970s the range of subjects was broadened and higher education qualifications were also offered. Today the College offers courses from entry level to honours degrees in a number of Centres and has a turnover of £29 million.
The College’s campuses extend through Yorkshire, Cumbria and the North East. Each location offers something different, whether it’s a particular course or specialist facilities. What all our campuses do have in common is easy access to stunning countryside including the Yorkshire Dales, Lake District and Northumberland National Park, which act as the perfect outdoor classroom for our students.
Why choose Askham Bryan?
- Students and staff benefit from excellent specialist facilities. Over the next two years a capital project of £10 million will result in new buildings and educational facilities, including a leading-edge Wildlife and Conservation Park facility at York.
- With an ever expanding number of degree courses and a growing higher education student community – a team of QAA reviewers in 2014 commended the quality of student learning opportunities and the enhancement of learning opportunities and was deemed to have exceeded UK expectations in these two areas.
- Whether you live in or travel to College every day, there is a great social life – the Students’ Union is at the heart of campus life and organises a wide range of sports and enrichment activities as well as evening events such as live bands, film nights, and the annual Summer Ball.
- In June 2013 we were awarded outstanding in all areas of our Ofsted care standards inspection.
- The College and its campuses are easily accessible by train, car or bus – a free bus service brings students to the College from many areas.
- Students leave the College ‘work-ready’. We are proud of our close links with employers, who help shape our courses to make sure students are taught the skills and knowledge needed to give the best possible start to their chosen career.
Who to contact
Where to go
- YO23 3FR
The College celebrates and values the diversity brought to it by all those individuals who live, work and learn here. All staff, volunteers and those contracted to provide services are expected to share this commitment. We are proud to carry the ‘Two Ticks – Positive about Disabled People’ logo and actively encourage applications from candidates who consider themselves to be disabled.
- Contact Telephone
- 01904 772277
- Contact Email
- Local Offer Age Bands
- Transition to Adulthood
- SEN Provision Type