Toggle menu

Help outside of office hours - The Emergency Duty Service

The Emergency Duty Service is part of Social Care and provides an out-of-hours response to emergency situations involving child protection, childcare, mental health and other adult service matters. We provide a contact point for advice and, where necessary, immediate service to individuals and families who are experiencing crisis in their lives. We work closely with other emergency services including Health, Warden Call, Police, Women's Refuges and the Benefits Agency. <SEND>

Telephone number: 01642524552
Help outside of office hours - The Emergency Duty Service

Which areas does the service cover?

Redcar and Cleveland

When can I contact the service?

From Monday to Thursday someone is available from 5pm and from 4:30pm on Fridays, to 8:30am the following morning. At weekends and Public Holidays, a 24 hour emergency service is provided. In short, you can contact the service whenever your local Social Care office is closed.

How can I contact the service?

We can only be contacted by telephone on 01642 524552. We use trained interpreters if required.

What happens when I ring?

You will be asked to give your name and telephone number so one of our Social Workers can call you back. Usually this will be within a few minutes, but if they are all busy on other emergencies, you will be called back as soon as someone is free. You will not be asked to give any personal details or why you are ringing the service, until the Social Worker rings you back.

Can I contact the service if I already have a social worker?

Yes, anyone can contact us if they are experiencing an emergency which will not wait until the next working day.

Can the social worker visit on a regular basis?

No, an Emergency Duty Social Worker is only able to respond to an immediate emergency. Following this if you need ongoing help or support, we can pass a request to your local Social Care office for further assistance.

Is the service confidential?

Yes, we are bound by the same rules as daytime staff. We pass onto them details of your contact with us, sometimes with a recommendation that they follow it up with you.

What if I am not satisfied with the emergency duty service?

Stockton Social Care run the service on behalf of all the participating local authorities. You can complain to Stockton-on-Tees Social Care or your local office (if you do not live in the Borough of Stockton-on-Tees).
Further information can be obtained from your local office or by asking the Emergency Social Worker. You may choose to ring or write to the appropriate office with details of your complaint which will be thoroughly addressed.

We are also eager to hear any comments on how we can improve the service or things that we have done well. Your feedback helps us to constantly improve our service.


Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon
Last modified on 16 February 2024